Disease Prevention with Lifestyle Medicine & Nutrition (Group Self-Management Programs)
Unlocking the Power of Dietary Intervention
What is Lifestyle Medicine?
Lifestyle medicine is an evidence-based approach to preventing, treating, and even reversing chronic diseases through lifestyle therapeutic approaches.
- Whole food plant-based nutrition
- Adequate sleep
- Stress management
- Avoidance of substance abuse
As health care practitioners treating individuals with chronic disease for several years, we have seen the damage done by living an unhealthy lifestyle first-hand. While medicine is excellent, standard pills and procedures are ineffective in dealing with chronic diseases. They can slow down complications but don’t treat the root cause of the disease.
On the contrary, healthy lifestyle behaviors, such as dietary changes and exercise, have proven to be successful in preventing, halting, and even reversing these diseases.
As a result, we have developed nutritional group therapy programs to support the prevention and treatment of the leading chronic diseases. Diet plays a central role in the prevention of disease and optimizing health. Science shows us that a predominantly whole food plant-based diet can minimize and even eliminate our susceptibility to chronic diseases. Plant-based diets are cost-effective, low-risk interventions that can lower body mass index, blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol levels.
Nutrition for Healing from Heart Disease
Length: 8 sessions
Duration: 30-60 minutes per session
Includes: Free 15-minute discovery call + 6 educational group sessions (via video conference) + Two individual sessions (30 minutes each)
Nutrition for Healing from Heart Disease is an 8-week group program for individuals with coronary heart disease, designed to support the prevention and treatment of heart disease.
The program was developed by Richard Wei, MD and Hanna Rakowska, RHN CHCP. Our mission is to use dietary and lifestyle interventions to guide participants in using these strategies to support the treatment of heart disease and to prevent its recurrence.
The program includes an introductory session with Dr. Wei and Registered Holistic
Nutritionist Hanna Rakowska, followed by an 8-week program.
Over the course of 8 weeks, you will learn about:
- General nutrition concepts
- The link between diet and cardiovascular disease
- The science behind using diet to prevent, arrest, and even reverse coronary artery disease
- How to reduce blood lipid levels, stabilize blood sugar levels, and reduce blood pressure
- How to lose weight in a sustainable manner and keep it off for good
- How to optimize digestion
- Supplement recommendations
Once you have registered for the full program, you will receive the following:
- Evidence-based dietary and lifestyle recommendations
- Six educational group sessions on using diet to treat heart disease
- Two individual sessions with a Registered Holistic Nutritionist
- Individualized action plan
- Meal Plan
- Recipe package
- Grocery shopping list
- Meal planning tips
- Support and accountability
- Educational materials and resources
- Review of lab values before and after the program
We will present the science behind our approach and provide you with numerous resources to help you in your transition to a healthier lifestyle. You will also be surrounded by a group of supportive, like-minded individuals. Participants typically begin to feel better and see improvements in their weight, blood pressure, and blood sugar in as little as three weeks.
Nutrition for Healing from Heart Disease consists of a set of 8 sessions (two individual sessions with Hanna Rakowska, and six group sessions).
To register for the Nutrition for Healing from Heart Disease program, you do not need to be a patient of our primary care practice. Call 360-734-4300
Richard Wei, MD MPH: Co-creator of the program and facilitator of the introductory session
Hanna Rakowska RHN RDH CHCP: Co-creator of the program and facilitator of the introductory session and group sessions
Why is our program successful?
- Our protocol is based on the best available science in the role of nutrition in cardiovascular disease
- We ensure that our dietary guidelines are simple, sustainable, and delicious!
- You are provided with lots of support along the way
- We provide you with all the necessary tools and resources to guarantee your success in the program
- Most people start feeling better within a few days